As a dog owner, you may often find yourself juggling between your work commitments and ensuring that your furry friend gets the exercise they need. As a busy, urban professional, you might have considered hiring a dog walker to help out. But is getting a dog walker the right choice for you and your pet? Let's dive into this topic.
Understanding Your Dog’s Needs
Before deciding whether or not to hire a dog walker, it's crucial to understand your dog’s needs. Dogs require regular physical exercise to stay healthy and happy. Depending on their breed, age, and health status, some dogs may need several hours of activity each day. For some dogs, the benefits of a walk might not even be the exercise, but the companionship provided.
Additionally, just sniffing around can provide a dog with mental stimulation. Many studies suggest sniffing around for 30 minutes can provide more stimulation for dogs than just actively walking for 30 minutes.
If your work schedule or personal commitments prevent you from providing this level of care, it might be time to consider professional help. A lack of physical activity can lead to numerous health issues in dogs such as obesity, heart disease, and even behavioral problems like chewing or digging.
The Benefits of Hiring a Dog Walker
Hiring a professional dog walker offers numerous benefits for both you and your pet. Here are some reasons why getting a dog walker might be an excellent idea:
1. Regular Exercise: A professional dog walker ensures that your pet gets regular exercise even when you're busy or away from home.
2. Socialization: Regular walks provide opportunities for your pet to interact with other dogs and people which is essential for their social development.
3. Peace of Mind: Knowing that your pet is being cared for by a professional can give you peace of mind during long workdays. It's also great to have an available dog walker on hand when you want to plan a spontaneous night out. Enjoy your free time while you know your dog is in good hands.
4. Flexibility: Professional dog walkers offer flexible schedules that can accommodate your needs. At Bow Waus, this is our full-time job, so we are available seven days a week - from morning to night.
Choosing the Right Dog Walker in Fishtown, Philadelphia :
Once you've decided to hire a dog walker, it's essential to choose the right one for your pet's needs. Here are some factors to consider:
1. Experience and Training: Look for someone who has experience with dogs similar to yours in terms of size, breed, and temperament. At Bow Waus - Dog Walking and Pet Sitting, we tend to see a lot of dogs that do not do well in daycare environments. They may have reactivity issues or other various quirks. If you have a dog with similar issues, you want to be sure their dog walker will know the best way to interact with them.
2. Reliability: The person should be dependable and punctual since they will be responsible for taking care of your beloved pet. A common issue I have heard post-Covid with the rise of "side hustles" is that many find their part-time pet care provider canceling on them at the last moment. We have a team structure at Bow Waus, that way we can provide you with availability.
3. Insurance: Make sure the potential candidate has liability insurance covering accidents or damages that could occur during walks.
4. References: Ask for references from previous clients as this will give you an idea about their reliability and professionalism. Look for reviews, or recommendations on social media groups.
Is A Dog Walker Worth It?
The decision ultimately depends on various factors like the specific needs of your pet, your schedule constraints, and budget considerations.
Hiring a professional dog walker can be an excellent solution if you're struggling to provide enough exercise time for your furry friend due to work commitments or other personal reasons.
While it does come at an additional cost, many owners find that the benefits - healthier pets, peace of mind knowing their pets are well cared for during the day - far outweigh these costs.
In conclusion, if finding time for daily walks is challenging due to busy schedules or if you have an energetic breed requiring more exercise than what you can provide – hiring a professional dog walker could be just what you need!
Remember - every decision we make should prioritize our pets' wellbeing above all else because they rely on us entirely for their happiness and health! So if hiring a professional dog walker helps ensure their happiness while making our lives easier – why not?